Thursday 12 January 2012

Welcome to The Foggy Fibro Blog.

For my first post I thought I would explain to you what my blog is about and what you can expect to find here. The aim of the Foggy Fibro Blog is to inform, educate, entertain and explore Fibromyalgia Syndrome, from the patient point of view.
When I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I knew nothing about it and like anything new that I encounter I had to know EVERYTHING about it, so I began to read, research, learn – I quickly learnt something very interesting I wasn’t the only person who knew very little about it, knowledge of Fibro in the medical industry and greater population is alarmingly low, considering as many as 2% of the population have the condition. We aren’t sure what causes it, there is no cure, and it is a lifelong condition that ranges in severity of numerous symptoms, with chronic pain the main symptom.
It is only human nature to seek out information on a seemingly invisible condition that you have been diagnosed with, and the truth is that I wished there was some magical, humanised form of information that I could devour hungrily and glean every possible understanding from, something that explained to me WHAT living with Fibro was like, by someone who was living with it, although very interesting and a wonderful starting point, information booklets provided to me by my rheumatologist just weren’t enough, they were merely an appetizer in a smorgasbord of information I was eagerly seeking out to devour.
Before we start, please be aware that everyone suffers from Fibromyalgia differently, the information I provide is not a diagnostic tool, and I am not a doctor.
I have done my best to research and double check any facts and figures that are written here; however, once again I am not an encyclopaedia, despite what my children think. Most of my research into figures and percentages has been carefully sourced, but like anything you read on the internet it should be not be taken as gospel, but rather with a pinch of salt, don’t believe anything you hear and only half of what you see people!!!!!
However, if you think you may be suffering from Fibro, have been recently diagnosed or are one of those beautiful, loving, supportive and courageous family members of a sufferer wanting to gain some insight into this chronic syndrome, please take a little journey with me, you will notice along the way I often take an entertaining approach towards the syndrome, I am not poking fun or making light of this condition, rather I believe, when life sends you lemons, you have two choices, get all sour about it and wallow in self-pity or make lemonade, did I mention I like lemonade!
So welcome and remember that nobody ever conquered the world by asking “WHY ME” But people have changed the world by asking WHY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment